Bhagamandala

Bhagamandala is a pilgrimage place in Coorg. It is situated on the river Kaveri in its upstream stretches. At this place, the Kaveri is joined by two tributaries, the Kannike and the mythical Sujyoti River. It is considered sacred as a river confluence. There is a famous temple known as Sri Bhagandeshwara Temple. This place is also known as Bhagandeshwara Kshetra, from which the name Bhagamandala is derived. During 1785–1790, the area was occupied by Tipu Sultan. He renamed Bhagamandala to Afesalabad. In 1790 King Dodda Vira Rajendra took Bhagamandala back into an independent Kodagu kingdom. Distance 44 kms from Coorg Coffee Hills.