Madikeri Fort

Madikeri Fort was first built by Mudduraja in the last quarter of the 17th century. He also built a palace inside the fort. It was eventually rebuilt in granite by Tipu Sultan who named the site as Jaffarabad. In 1790, Doddavira Rajendra took control of the fort. The palace was renovated by Lingarajendra Wodeyar II in 1812-1814. The British added the fort in 1834.  In the north-east corner at the entrance are two life size masonry elephants and a church (now museum) is present in the south-east corner. Located in Madikeri and 11 kms from Coorg Coffee Hills.